Urban Hike: Sweeney Ridge (Approach via Mori Ridge Trail)
Start at Shellback Nursery parking lot off of Hwy 1 in Pacifica (entrance is very steep)
9AM -4PM, ~20 min one-way drive time from Foster City.
- porta-potty at junction of Mori Ridge – Sweeney Ridge Trails
- pit toilet at Sweeney Ridge & Sneath Lane Trails also one southwest of Sweeney Ridge Horse trail after descent down from Sweeney Ridge Trail
- NO Potable water
- Clear day with great ocean and bay views, both can be seen from Sweeney Ridge
- Landmarks such as Mt. Tamalpias, Mt. Diablo, Mt. Hamilton, Farallon Islands could be seen
- Boys took turn climbing and posing on monuments marking the Portola SF Bay Discovery Site
- View of Milagara Ridge can be seen and history of Nike Missile bases described to the boys
- Explored abandoned Nike Missile Radar base
- Walked to the end of Sweeney Ridge Trail where it ends at the SF Watershed and overlooking San Andreas Lake. By arrangement, one can hike through with a docent all the way to Hwy 92. Other hikers we met said that the hike on Sweeney Ridge was better than that through hike.
Wildlife and Plants Observed
- crows and turkey vultures gliding
- robins and other small birds
- Monarch and Painted Lady butterflies
- low scrub
- ice plant
- coast pines with moss and lichen
- coastal blackberry
Very steep rutted dirt road for ~ 1.5 miles at start but then gradually uphill.
Flat, paved/grade road or well worn trails when on Sweeney Ridge Trail
8.5 miles verified by Mr. Cheng’s pedometer/Mr. Breen’s pedometer and variety of online sources
Other possible destinations in the future would be hikes along the coast and out and around Mori Pt.